Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 04-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

Default Opinions?
I just took my car to Meineke with $150 in my wallet, my stock dual exhaust is missing a muffler so I have 2 new Apexi n1 style mufflers and two 1 1/2 foot exhaust pipes I wanted them to take off the stock muffler that was left and weld the new stuff on... The guy goes underneath my car, comes back and tells me it's going to be $300 because he isn't going to do a crap job and he wants to do it right and make and install a custom y pipe because without it everything wouldn't sit right and because the y pipe is rusted up and welding will blow through it supposedly, is he being normal or over charging me because I'm 18 and I might seem like I have $$ because of the way my car looks? P.s if anyone can recommend a place in long island NY that does this work I would appreciate it.

Last edited by BoostedFC; 04-07-2011 at 03:34 AM.
rx7Noobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:46 AM   #2

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

$300 for a whole Y pipe custom made & mufflers mounted doesn't sound bad. Now if you needed the new Y pipe we would have no idea because we have not seen the condition of the existing pipping. Trust me the fact that you pulled up in a FC3S has no bearing on what he was charging. Since you brought him what you did instead of buying a full exhaust, would suggest that you didn't have the money to fork out. If you think that's expensive a close friend of mine just handed over $2200 for his rear section exhaust on a early 80's Porsche 930 turbo, which was only a few pipes & mufflers. You could always take it somewhere else to get a price & go with what ever one you feel the best option for you.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

He wanted 300 for him to just make and install a new y pipe which i looked up n is 35$ on amazon and just weld in the mufflers to the pipes i brought him... I needa find some place thatll do it for $180 max otherwise i have to drive An hour to brooklyn to get it done -_-
Old 04-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #4

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

I'm sorry man but a brand new Y pipe is going to run you more then $35, not to mention the shipping on that, plus you have the install & the welding flanges to the mufflers or mufflers to the pipes. You may find a shop cheaper then $300, but if he was going to make you a new Y do the welding & install he wasn't trying to rip you. If he was just going to do some patch work on the exhaust then that's another story. If you know where to get a usable Y pipe to replace your damaged one cheap, buy it & do the work yourself

Last edited by BoostedFC; 04-08-2011 at 05:59 PM.
BoostedFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:55 AM   #5
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

Gotcha, also 93 octane super gas... Ok to put in my fc? Ive only been using regular but was thinking of trying super in it.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #6

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Yes 93 is fine to run in your car.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #7
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

New mufflers installed they chopped off about a foot befoee the muffler and put new piping to my new mufflers, $140 it looks niceee but if i rev to 5k i hear a whistle, im assuming its an air leak?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #8

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Post pics of the car & the new exhaust.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:44 AM   #9
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

Ill post em up tmrw