Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 03-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
red89gtu

Default the buzzer?
ok first off i am kinda new to the hole rotory thing. i have had no luck with the 1st one i owned and that was a 85 gsl-se. motor locked up on me. now the 2nd one i have is running nice and smooth, got this one a little over a month ago its a 89 gtu with about 125,000 miles on it. every thing is pretty clean under the hood. just replaced the water pump on it and have two questions for you guys. (if you dont mind) first one is how to bleed the air out of the cooling system. the book dont say a word on it. and second how do i pull trouble codes from it. the check engine light is on and as soon as i touch the gas the light goes out, let off it the check engine light come back on. why is it that this is going on? then after filling the cooling system up the low coolant light keeps comin on and that buzzer is drivin me nuts while i am trying to find out if it is leaking coolant, or if the water seals are bad i dont know. so how would i tell if the water seals are bad in my motor. i read about the bubble test but dont think that is a very good test. but is there a tool i can rent to pressure test the cooling system? thanks for any and all help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0217111020a.jpg (94.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg rx-7.jpg (91.2 KB, 4 views)
red89gtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:36 AM   #2

black rocket
Full Access Member

Welcome to the Forum!

So, you changed the water pump, and you weren't successful with burping the system...

Have you ck out the exhaust and smell? It will be whitish and has that sweet coolant smell. Now, before you start up do you ck the coolant level?

Did tou change your t-stat when you change your pump? What are the condition of hoses? Are they original one?

Do you smell coolant inside?

Old 03-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
red89gtu

Originally Posted by black rocket View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

So, you changed the water pump, and you weren't successful with burping the system...

Have you ck out the exhaust and smell? It will be whitish and has that sweet coolant smell. Now, before you start up do you ck the coolant level?

Did tou change your t-stat when you change your pump? What are the condition of hoses? Are they original one?

Do you smell coolant inside?
ok thanks for the reply
there is no coolant smell coming out of the exhaust, just a little oil smoke when started but not white or grey. the hoses are factory replacments in good shape, the t-stat looked fairly new. no water in oil just fresh oil, have ran the 7 around the block a few times it does not heat up past the middle of the normal range on the gauge. just the buzzer goes off and will not shut off untell the key is turned off. upon restart the buzzer waits about 45 seconds to sound off then goes tell i shut the car off. i have put the rx on a incline to have the radiator higher than the motor then took off the rad. cap fill with fresh coolant 50/50 mix and started the car. bubbles for about 30 seconds then nothing fill the rest of the way and let her warm up tell the t-stat opens and add more coolant when it droped below the filler neck. let it run for about 30 min with no loss of coolant or bubbles in the system. so i just put the cap on and took her around the block a few times, then the buzzer kicks on. i have read about the coolant seals going bad and this is sounding a little more like that to me the more i look into the problems. the thing that gets me is it runs great no missing no stumbles and its pretty quick.
there is no coolant leaking any were on the out side of the motor or external cooling system. the heater core is not leaking no puddle in floor board or out the drain tube on the under side of the car. i thank you for you help.

i notice this place is kinda dead i hope it pick ups. good to be apart of this forum thanks again..
Brian

Last edited by red89gtu; 03-12-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #4

black rocket
Full Access Member

Did you change your rad caps with a factory replacement? Might have to do a pressure test & see it really holding.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #5

black rocket
Full Access Member

Might also want to ck the sensor itself... I threw in rad cap only because it should be changed regularly.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
red89gtu

rad. cap is new. i will see if i can find a someone with a pressure tester. it should hole what .9 bar or 14 psi right. im not to familar with the pressure testing so please fill me in
Old 04-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
red89gtu

well got the buzzeer to quit..thanks guys
well i had a guy offer me $4000 for my 7 so i sold it to him. there will be plenty others out there thanks again for the insite to my problems
Old 04-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #8

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Well you sir are either lucky or the other guy really wanted that car. In either case nice job on collecting $4000 for the car.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:20 AM   #9
red89gtu

thanks. well my 7 after figuring out the lil problems with it was a great car. 30k on a rebuild and running strong for a stock rebuild. the guy went out and hit the high way and hit 135mph with no problem he said he had more pedle left. and we are 5500 feet above sea level. wounder what its got down and sea level? oh well will never know...... thanks again
Old 04-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #10

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Any plans on picking up another rotary?