Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 12-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
proudrx7ownrr

Question can i do this easily
RI just bought a 88 rx7 non-turbo s4 13b. The only thing I don't have is the engine. Everything else is in place like the s4 na tranny and all the engine components. My question is can I drop in a s5 13b na fairly easy? Will everything bolt right up and work perfectly or are there other parts I have to replace like ecu , wiring harness , etc. This is my first rx7 and I don't know much about the rotary except what I have read. I have always loved the rx7 and finally have the privilege of owning one. If anyone can help me out on what it is I need to buy it would be appreciate. I'm excited as hell and ready to get this thing going. Thank you in advance........Matt
proudrx7ownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #2

black rocket
Full Access Member

Welcome to RX-7 Forum and conglatulations, Matt!

In addition to what you have I would highly recommend minimum of engine and tranny mounts to be replaced since you are already there.

As to ECU, I would get the one that came w/ the engine, if you can provided your tranny is the same configuration (manual/automatic). Harness... I wouldn't trust it but one that came with engine & ECU would be nice, as well. I would strongly suggest to you to replace all hoses at the same time.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
proudrx7ownrr

Are you saying that a new ecu and harness are not completely a must but if I do change them as well I will have a better running set up.......but I can get away with just renewing my mounts.... sorry the wording kind of confused me I'm new to the forums too
Old 12-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #4

black rocket
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by proudrx7ownrr View Post
Are you saying that a new ecu and harness are not completely a must but if I do change them as well I will have a better running set up.......but I can get away with just renewing my mounts.... sorry the wording kind of confused me I'm new to the forums too
I left that as an option as you may install an aftermarket EMS and I truly don't trust 20+ year old harnesses. I used harness came with Haltech (aftermarket EMS).

But, yeah, mounts a must and replacing hoses. TB should be de-gunked while you're swapping.

Sry for the confusing post... I was tired.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #5

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Basically what he is saying is that you will need the the S5 ecu & harness unless you are going with an aftermakert ecu. He is also suggesting that you replace certain items to ensure reliability while doing the install. There are few differences between the S4 & S5 motors (manifolds, omp, compression ECT.) Implanting the motor is pretty straight forward.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:48 AM   #6
proudrx7ownrr

Thank you guys for the help.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:22 AM   #7

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

keep us updated on your progress!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
proudrx7ownrr

I will and I will uploads pics when I figure that out